Skip to main content

Hi!  I have been using automation to send links to my Instagram and Facebook followers for many months now and love it.  In the post I tell them to comment a specific word and if they do then the automation sends them the link to purchase.  It has been working perfectly but I have recently come upon a new article from Meta (https://www.facebook.com/business/help/259911614709806) that sounds like they are now saying it is “comment baiting”. 

• Comment baiting: Asking people to comment with specific answers (words, numbers, phrases or emojis).

My question is, does this apply to our automated messages and will this change things for this feature moving forward?  I’m not really baiting them it’s just an easy way for them to get the link right to their inbox automatically if they want it. I don’t want to use the automation if it’s going to get my account suspended or action taken against me in any way.

Thank you!

@UniqueInfluence this applies to anything you do on Meta.

Automated messaging is not comment baiting on its own. But the content you put on the post to get the comment could be considered comment baiting, if you don’t do it right.

To me, the key is here:

(This is one of the Questions on the article you shared)

So, while ‘comment BOOK to get the book’ might be tagged as baiting, using something like ‘comment with your biggest challenge and I’ll send you the book’ will foster authentic engagement and create relevant and meaningful content.

The other key to me is this:

Lastly, engagement baiting is not new, it’s been a thing for a long time.

So as long as you’re creating meaningful content and mixing up your strategies, you should be perfectly fine! I’ve been working with several clients for years without issues.

However, if all your posts are ‘comment X to get Y’, then yeah, you’ll probably be flagged for comment baiting.