Skip to main content

I am developing an integration between ManyChat and an API (which integrates with OpenAI's API, trained on my Google Sheets database) to create an interactive chat experience that personalizes a virtual assistant based on user inputs. The process involves capturing a prompt provided by the user, storing it in a Custom User Field in ManyChat, and using this variable in an HTTP request to the API.

However, I'm experiencing an issue where ManyChat is not updating user fields from responses to external HTTP requests.

When I check the log, it shows that the response is null.

Steps I've taken:

• Verified the server and response format.
  • Tested with simplified static responses.
  • Confirmed correct JSONPath usage.

I have attached some screenshots for your reference.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance or insights to help me resolve this issue.

Check the error.

Most likely, your app is taking more than 10 seconds to respond.

When an External Request takes more than 10 seconds to respond it times out and you get the ‘Response is Null’ error that you’re getting.

You have 2 options:

• Make your service faster so that it responds in less than 10 seconds
  • Make it asynchronous and use Manychat’s API to set the custom fields and trigger the response automation

There’s one exception to this rule: if the domain for the external request URL is openai.com. In that case the timeout time is longer (I can’t remember exactly how long, but it’s way more than 10 seconds)

Hi  Gustavo Boregio,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I have two doubt 

1. Is there any way to know that the error “Response is Null” is due to time out.

sometimes when I hard-code instead of using the custom user field. It’s working fine I am able to capture the response.

1. “Make it asynchronous and use Manychat’s API to set the custom fields and trigger the response automation” Can you please explain to me a simple way.

the external request URL is openai.com

What is your recommendation for me?

Thanks & Regrads

Biswaprakash

Check the error.

Most likely, your app is taking more than 10 seconds to respond.

When an External Request takes more than 10 seconds to respond it times out and you get the ‘Response is Null’ error that you’re getting.

You have 2 options:

• Make your service faster so that it responds in less than 10 seconds
  • Make it asynchronous and use Manychat’s API to set the custom fields and trigger the response automation

There’s one exception to this rule: if the domain for the external request URL is openai.com. In that case the timeout time is longer (I can’t remember exactly how long, but it’s way more than 10 seconds)

1. Click on the error (on Settings > Logs), it should tell you that it’s timing out
  2. Async would be:
    1. Make the request
    2. DO NOT wait for the response
    3. Have your App call Manychat’s API to continue the conversation
  3. Your external request URL is not openai.com, it’s replit.dev

I have Assistants API connected directly to Manychat (with no replit as middleman) and it works perfectly. My suggestion, do it directly between OpenAI and Manychat (you don’t need the middleman).

I have this template for sale if you’re interested - we can get the Assistant running in 5 minutes.

Hi Gustavo,

I am using the replit dev to train the chatGPT assistant on my own custom database Google Sheet. 

Can it possible to train the chatGPT assistant on custom database (Google Sheet). directly through ManyChat or the template you have made?

Thanks & Regards

Biswaprakash

It’s 2 different things.

I train the Assistant with whatever I want - using their interface, code, etc. It doesn’t matter really.

Once it’s trained, I use Manychat to consume information from the Assistant.

I really can’t think of a use case where training the Assistant through Manychat would be necessary to be honest…

My template uses/consumes a trained Assistant. It assumes that you already trained the Assistant, and it already has all information necessary to be served to the user in Manychat.