Solved

Definition of the "contact"

• 7 February 2024
  • 20 replies

Hi there!

I’m the freshman with ManyChat tools. Currently I’m still testing the free version’s options and I’m concerned if you can define the phrase “Contact” for me. 

Does the Free plan have unlimited contacts?
Effective December 10, 2020, new Free accounts will be limited to 1,000 contacts which include all subscribed, unsubscribed, and deleted contacts.

What happens if I reach the contact limit on my Free plan and don't upgrade to Pro?
Once the threshold of 1,000 contacts is reached, account owners will no longer be able to send messages to their contacts through configured automations, Live Chat, or Broadcasts.

If my goal is to send IG DM’s after sb leave particular comment under the post - how should I understand the limit. If it means that I can send unlimited dms to 1000 followers, or only 1000 DMs?

icon

Best answer by Gustavo Boregio 20 February 2024, 13:27

View original

20 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

You can send unlimited DMs to 1000 followers. Each follower that talks on Instagram DM = one contact.

Hey, so those followers are my contacts in manychat? And when I reach 1000 then i have to switch to pro? Thanks

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

A contact is anyone who starts a conversation with your IG after Manychat has been connected.

So even if you have 1 million followers in your account, the moment you connect Manychat you’ll start with 0 contacts.

Contacts only add up for each account that DMs you.

A contact is anyone who starts a conversation with your IG after Manychat has been connected.

So even if you have 1 million followers in your account, the moment you connect Manychat you’ll start with 0 contacts.

Contacts only add up for each account that DMs you.

Hi Gustavo! I have a question:

What is the period of time that a contact is considered in billing? For example: a person who interacted today, and never interacted again, will they continue to be considered as a contact for a charge in 3 months if I don't delete them from my account?

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Yes, until they unsubscribe or you delete them.

Just like email marketing systems (ie. Mailchimp and others), the contact is there regardless of whether you use it or not.

How to differ a contact type from another according to the billing model? From marketing (initiated by business) to Service (initiated by contact).

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

@Vicente you can start the conversation, and that won’t add a paying subscriber to your Manychat bill.

As soon as they reply, then yes, they became a Manychat contact.

You can go in and delete them if you want.

So, as long as they don’t reply, the billing model remains inneffective? Okay, that part is clearer.

Now let’s say I send a message, to them, they do reply and we have a conversation. The billing describes 3 business-initiated contacts. Can you define me them? To differ a “marketing” from an “authentication”, from a “utility”. How do I tell which is which?

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Where are you seeing this @Vicente ?

And on which channel will you be sending messages?

I assumed Instagram because the previous message was about IG, but I’m suspecting you mean WhatsApp…

Let me know ;)

I’m involved solely with Instagram at this point, yet I don’t think I truly understand how the contacts section interacts with it.

For context, I’m to launch an automated action triggered by Instagram comments, so they comment a text and the bot replies with the “prize”, every DM on those are a contact added to the list, that I could state by testing thrice. I noticed that the billing sheet mentions WhatsApp specifically, but I’m struggling to understand how the billing works exactly in this context.

Will i be charged once the replies to this action go beyond 1000 on IG’s DMs or not?

I mean, since a DM is a contact...

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

WhatsApp is a whole different thing, and you also have to pay per conversation to Meta (not Manychat).

For IG, 1 IG account that interacts with you on DM = 1 subscriber. That’s all. ;)

If you only need IG now, don’t worry about WhatsApp for the moment.

So if I go above 1000 contacts ONLY ON INSTAGRAM, I won’t be charged extra?

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

You’ll be charged as per Manychat’s pricing: https://manychat.com/pricing

Based on the number of subscribers you have.

That’s all.

So WhatsApp follows its own bill and has no relation with the one in the picture, nevertheless it’s this relation of hundreds per month that’s worth? Like, here goes from 500 to 2500, if I have 501 I’m up to the next level on Instagram contacts (the 2500), therefore paying the extra $10, correct? If I get 5000 replies on this action, I’m paying a total of $45 according to this, right? That’s how Instagram will work?

1 subscriber = 1 contact? I am on the free version now and I had sent an automated DM to an account I control from a comment trigger and in the bottom corner it still says 0/1000 free contacts. is this right? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hey guys, check these documents from Manychat: https://support.manychat.com/support/solutions/36000007666

This is like an email service, it’s not more complicated than that.

1 subscriber = 1 person.

It starts counting from their first interaction and keeps counting while they’re a subscriber, just like an email system like Mailchimp.

For WhatsApp only, there’s also an extra charge applied by Meta.

Gustavo, would you happen to know how much Meta is charging extra right now?

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Here’s the info:

https://support.manychat.com/support/solutions/articles/36000345252-whatsapp-conversation-based-pricing

https://business.whatsapp.com/products/platform-pricing

For WhatsApp + Manychat, you have to consider the subscriber pricing from Manychat plus the conversation pricing from Meta.

Is there a way to delete a contact using the api?

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

@hershkoy not directly, but you could do a sendFlow and in there delete the contact.