Skip to main content
Solved

WhatsApp use case and estimated costs?

• 27 February 2024
  • 4 replies

I'm having a nightmare connecting WhatsApp (not your fault) so I just want to check that my use case is even possible before continuing and to also get an estimate of the potential cost.

I would like to set up a service whereby people can send some data (a list of 5-8 data points like weight, length, depth etc) to me via WhatsApp. Then using Zapier I would connect ManyChat with OpenAI to form a response, as a personalised automated response to the users message.

Is that possible? 

Imagine that 1000 people sent a single WhatsApp message and received a single reply, daily, what would the cost be for me? Is there a discount for more scale?

Hope this makes sense.

Many thanks ManyChat community. 

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes it’s possible.

Cost-wise, you’ll have to consider:

• 1000 contact-initiated conversations per day: the cost varies per country (of the contact), and you can see the prices here: https://business.whatsapp.com/products/platform-pricing. For example, if the contact is from the UK, the cost will be 0.028 GBP (2.8 pennies) per conversation. A conversation is 24 hours since the first message from the user, with no limits on the number of messages.
  • OpenAI Cost: this will depend on your prompt, how many tokens it consumes, and the model you’ll be using. You can see costs here: https://openai.com/pricing
  • Zapier: this will also depend. Although, you could connect directly Manychat <> OpenAI and not use Zapier, and save some $$.

So, overall, you’d have:

• GBP 28 per day for WhatsApp messages. (1000 messages)
  • Let’s call another GBP 5 per day for OpenAI (it’s probably not gonna be that much)
  • GBP 0 for Zapier - pay a dev to do the connection directly and save on Zapier since this can get expensive. I can help if you want ;)

Hope this helps!

This is super helpful, thank you. In addition to these Whatsapp costs, what is the platform/membership fee required for Manychat to handle this? 

Ps I’ve often wondered about how hard it is to make Zapier type connections outside of Zapier. I may take you up on that offer at some point 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Manychat has a per-subscriber pricing model that you can see here:

https://manychat.com/pricing

You can play around with the slider to see the costs:

All these values are per-month cost.

Now, if you want to keep the subscriber in Manychat and have it like a CRM so you can contact them later, the price will go up every month.

But if you have an interaction and after a few days there isn’t any value in maintaining that contact in Manychat, you can delete the contact from your list and save some $ on Manychat.

Given the numbers you’re managing, a few hundred bucks on Manychat will probably not be the biggest of your concerns.

This is great, I think we’ve managed to work out the economics of our use case. We will be in touch!